Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Feeling quite delusional tonight

When I first started running, my goal was to run a 5k and believe me that was a BIG deal to me then. Marathon, I will admit I don't even know if I knew exactly how far the distance was. I have always had enough sense to keep my mouth shut if I'm not sure on something (or ask and not assume) though and knew that a marathon was a specific distance and not just another name for a race. As I started running and working on my weight was when I stumbled on a blog from someone running marathons and that's what kind of started the itch. At that point in time I honestly had no idea what the buzz about Boston was. I knew it was a marathon and probably the only one I'd really ever heard of, but that's about it.

Fast forward a little bit as I get more serious about my running and get an idea of what the Boston Marathon is and how fast you have to be to run it. Up until probably the last month I didn't think I could ever be a Boston Marathoner and didn't have much of a desire to actually run it even if I could. I may not have mentioned this here before, but I have problems with anxiety, not huge any more, but still there. I have two things that will cause anxiety attacks for me any more, well maybe 3 or 4. One is driving over bridges and driving any place that has barricades on both sides or through tunnels. Not sure what causes that, but I hardly ever drive over bridges if I can avoid it and if I do I will have to have someone on the phone or in the car with me to do it. Second is heights which goes along with bridges. The third though and most annoying is crowds. I hate them. I don't like concerts, crowded sporting events, or large races. I can handle them if somebody is with me, but doing it by myself stresses me out. Not sure if you're following my train of thought here, but Boston is crowded so up until recently I really didn't know if I wanted to do it even if I could.

Today though, I am sure that I want to do it! I am pretty good at not letting fear hold me back from things (unless of course it's a rational fear like jumping out of an airplane - No thanks. I choose life :)) Anyhooo... back to my rambling for the night. Up until recently I hadn't wanted to run Boston nor did I think I was capable. I've always believed that if I put my mind to something I could do it. I'm kind of stubborn that way. I know that I have my work cut out for me, but I think I'm putting this goal in writing. I might have to wait until I move up another age group or two, but darn it I'm setting my eyes on it now. Haha, that would be one for a great blog title - 5:17 to BQ dream on.... Well, that's where I'm at for tonight. Dream big or go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment