Thursday, September 8, 2011

Putting the Big S on my shirt!

Yep, that's it. Putting on my Supermom outfit and getting back to my day job. School is in session and you can sure tell because I am juggling everything to get things done. On top of marathon training I have decided to start classes online. I really wanted to go back to a traditional college, but the cost of daycare right now I just can't do it. Once Steven is driving and Natalie is in school that will be an option, but for now online is what's going to work. So far this week I have had to use the treadmill once, run in the complete dark twice without being able to see my Garmin because the backlight is now not working, and had to run with the jogging stroller once. BUT and the big but is, I got it done! Woohoo go me! I originally thought to title this post - Got kids, so what?, but you know I will acknowledge that kids sure can make running/exercising a little more challenging. However, even people without kids can have obstacles and sometimes theirs can be even bigger than mine. You see, if you want it, you really want it, then you can make it happen. And me, I want it! I have worked too darn hard this summer to throw in the towel now. I have realized though with the start of the school year I am going to have to make some adjustments to my running schedule.

1. Treadmill time again. BOOOOOO. If anyone has any amazing blog post on how to make the treadmill magically more exciting please let me know. I loathe the treadmill and am going to have to come up with some ideas on how to make it more entertaining.

2. Me and the jogging stroller. I never thought I'd be one of those moms that could push a stroller and jog for 10 miles, but dag gone it I think that's going to be me! I am up to 6 miles with the stroller and Natalie is an amazing companion. She keeps me company and gives me someone to talk to so I don't look like the lunatic talking to myself. I am going to be adding more stroller runs in. I will have to figure out how to keep her bundled up as it's getting cooler and probably keep it to shorter runs as the temperature drops.

3. I can't believe I am saying this, but I may even resort to GASP getting up at 4 or 5 in the morning to get my run in while hubby is still home. Unfortunately for me he leaves for work really early so not sure I can make that work even if I have the willpower to get up insanely early. Not firmly committing to this one.

4. Night time running - Yeppers, been doing this one a little already. Although honestly I hardly call 5pm night running, but I know real soon the sun is going to start setting crazy early. The great state of Michigan provides for wonderfully early nights. I am also going to have to figure out how to suck it up and run in the cold, but will save that for a later date as not up to tackling anything new today.

Okay, that's all I got right now for strategies to get my running in. Mostly right now it's a matter of just doing it and figuring out how to not the day slip out of my hands without getting it done. This week has been particularly challenging. I've had on top of all my kids going back to school I have also had 3 doctors appointments for my kids as well.

I see a lot of people, sometimes myself included, come up with 1000 reasons why they can't get things done. You know sometimes there really are obstacles that get in your way. Sometimes you just have a crappy week or even a crappy month and fitness just can't be your number 1 priority. However, I do believe the majority of people can work in the time to exercise if they WANT to. Yep, I said it. Take a look at your day. Have you watched TV today? Now don't cheat. Even 15 minutes of TV? If you stumbled across my blog on Facebook um yeah, that means you, then um yeah you had time to exercise today.

I will be completely honest, I have no real desire to motivate people that don't want to be motivated. I don't have the energy. It takes all I got motivating myself. However, if you are feeling a little overwhelmed trying to do it all then take a deep breath, make yourself a list, put your BIG S on your shirt and just do it!

That's all for tonight. Oh yes, 16 days until race!

1 comment:

  1. You know it mama! I put on my big girl panties and got on the treadmill at 9PM even though I wanted nothing more than to go to bed! It's all about reaching for your dreams. You might never have another chance to do this again!

    ReplyDelete