Thursday, July 7, 2011

Running skirts and big old booties don't work!

I really wanted a running skirt. You see I am a girly girl. I grew up in a house full of brothers. Except for my twin sister we were totally outnumbered. I then proceeded to have 3 boys before having any girls. Now our house is kind of 50/50, but pink and ruffles is me. Natalie's not all in pink, but poor Christina, my first girl, was overdosed in pink. So when I first started seeing running skirts popping up I really wanted one. I thought they were cute and feminine and just plain cool. I looked and looked and looked at runningskirts.com. I decided I wanted one to wear for my race. I read all the rave reviews on them and why people loved them. I had it my head that this would be just awesome. So I waited, but then as a mama to 7 I am more cost conscious than others and I just had a hard time justifying that kind of money for a skirt to run in.

Fast forward a little. I found a runningskirt skirt sold on one of the running forums I frequent selling for 1/2 the price it would cost me to buy it new so I seized on the opportunity to try one. I waited for it to come in the mail and was so excited to get it in my little hands. It was super cute and super short! I'm not old, but I am a mom of teenagers. I debated and debated on whether I felt comfortable wearing this as short as it is. I felt like a teenager way back in the late 80s early 90s trying to sneak out the house in my little skimpy mini skirt. I even went as far as to bend over in front of a mirror in this thing to see if my derriere would show. Well, thankfully it wasn't that short.

I finally decided to try this bad boy out on a run. I put it on and went outside to find my hubby and ask his thoughts as to whether it was too short. I married a very smart man, hahahaha. His answer "it's up to you hun". He never partakes in the "does this make me look fat?" or "do I look bad in this?" questions. He always cracks me up how well he does at dodging them. I made it as far as back into the house to get my waterpack before I am already adjusting the undies built into the skirt. Adjust once. Go to get my Body Glide and put that on. Adjust again. Walk to get my watch and there they go creeping. Walk outside about to take off on my run and creep four. Then I start thinking about this forum post I read about someone's sports bra where she said something to the effect of if your sports bra is bugging you before you walk out the door it will be bugging you more at mile 4. Getting that quote wrong and too lazy to look it up, but you get the idea. After yanking these undies down from crawling up my butt for the 4th time I decided you know it's really not that important for me to wear it. If I can't even get out the door with it I don't think I really want to run with it. I went inside and changed into my comfortable shorts and called it a day.

Now I also tried another running skirt. This one the cheaper Champion brand I found at Target. In runningskirt's defense Champion's brand did no better. They came with compression shorts built in that were even worse. I am not fat. I wear a size 6 in most clothes, but I am curvy. I have a small waist and bigger butt. Always have and probably always will. You can't spot reduce and that's just the way my body seems to be distributed. If I get one that fits in my butt then it's falling off my waist. I have had similar problems with jeans, but have a few brands I've found that fit me well now. I am a little sad as I really would love to find a running skirt that fits me right. Maybe one day I'll get back to learning to sew and make my own, but for now I think I'll just stick with my comfy running shorts and call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment