Sunday, July 3, 2011

GOTFD

I learned this new handy abbreviation the other day and that definitely fit the day for yesterday. GOTFD - Get Out the F'ng Door (excuse the profanity even semi disguised I do try not to swear, but there are exceptions.) Anyhooo, yesterday was particularly challenging. We had been driving all day on Friday and then a bunch more driving Saturday to get home from our vacation. I was tired. There was tons that needed to be done and it was HOT. I spent the last almost 2 weeks up in the upper peninsula of Michigan, better known as the UP here. It was the opposite of hot. It was cool. It was beautiful scenery. It was everything you wanted for a run, except maybe some pesky mosquitoes. I knew I was going to have to run late in the day because my hubby and kids weren't waiting 2 hours for me to get my run in to get out the door towards home and I wasn't getting up running at 5am in an unfamiliar area either. With that said that left my 10 mile long run for Saturday afternoon/early evening.

I am not sure how much time I spent ho-humming and procrastinating to get out the door. I looked up the temperature and the weather forecast umteen times trying to find some hour of the day that might possibly not be so dang hot. I thought about running on the treadmill. Then the thought of spending 2+ hours on the treadmill was just unfathomable for me so back to option A running outdoors. Come winter the treadmill and me may become friends again, but the heat I figured I could conquer it. With my 15th check of the weather I realized it just wasn't going to get any cooler so might as well head out the door and hope for the best.

Needless to say my run kind of sucked. There really was no getting past the heat, but I got the job done. It was one of those runs where you just kind of concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other and don't really think about anything else. Most of the time I like running, but I am not insane. I don't love running in the heat, but keeping my eye on the prize and the goal in the end usually keeps me focused through the bad runs. I was thankful while I was running that I signed up for a fall marathon in Ste Saint Marie at that. No worries about heat for that one. Of course find me mid winter and I am sure I will be whining about the cold. If only every day could be 60 something degrees my running life would be bliss.

I guess this is getting rambly now, but wanted to get something up here. Charlevoix race report is coming next. I hope I can sit down and type that up later tonight or tomorrow (or the next day...)

No comments:

Post a Comment